(Photo: Shareif Ziyadat, FilmMagic)
Four years ago, Kanye West said he was going to try to be more humble. Yes, really.
Though West is infamous for his egotism, back in 2009, he claimed he was changing things. After "South Park" aired an episode in which West was portrayed as a narcissist who decides to live out his life as a "gay fish," Kim Kardashian's baby daddy took to his blog to say he was "working on my ego."
"Having the crazy ego is played out at this point in my life and career. I used to use it to build up my esteem when nobody believed in me," he wrote. "I just wanna be a doper person, which starts with me not always telling people how dope I think I am. I need to just get past myself. Drop the bravado and just make dope product. As long as I act like a b----, this type of s--- will happen to me. ... I'm not actually a huge douche."
Well, that was short-lived. The "Made in America" rapper has come under fire this week for a New York Times interview in which he made a panoply of arrogant statements, from calling himself the Steve Jobs of culture to claiming he was at a place of "awesome truth and awesomeness."
Here are the top 10 highlights from West's interview:
1. "I’m letting it out on everybody who doesn’t want to give me my credit."
2. "You know, if Michael Jordan can scream at the refs, me as Kanye West, as the Michael Jordan of music, can go and say, 'This is wrong.'"
3. "I am so credible and so influential and so relevant that I will change things."
4. "I knew when I wrote the line 'light-skinned friend look like Michael Jackson' [from the song 'Slow Jamz'] I was going to be a big star. At the time, they used to have the Virgin music [stores], and I would go there and just go up the escalator and say to myself, 'I’m soaking in these last moments of anonymity.'"
5. "I want to say that after working with Rick, it humbled me to realize why I hadn’t — even though I produced 'Watch the Throne'; even though I produced 'Dark Fantasy' — why I hadn’t won Album of the Year yet."
6. "If you don’t make Christmas presents, meaning making something that’s so emotionally connected to people, don’t talk to me. "
7. "Yeah, respect my trendsetting abilities. Once that happens, everyone wins. The world wins; fresh kids win; creatives win; the company wins."
8. "I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture."
9. "I’ve been connected to the most culturally important albums of the past four years, the most influential artists of the past ten years. You have like, Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, Henry Ford, Howard Hughes, Nicolas Ghesquière, Anna Wintour, David Stern."
10. "I will be the leader of a company that ends up being worth billions of dollars, because I got the answers. I understand culture. I am the nucleus. "
Someone call the "South Park" writers.
More Features on Yahoo!:
- Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer's Baby Names Revealed
- Is Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux's Wedding on Hold?
- True Stories of Elizabeth's Taylor's Big-Budget Bomb 'Cleopatra'
- Arts & Entertainment
- Kanye West
- Steve Jobs
- Michael Jordan
- South Park