On Sunday night, Mexican-American singer Jenni Rivera was found dead following a plane crash near Iturbide, Nuevo León, Mexico, and while the music industry and the Spanish community mourn her death, there are still many that aren't familiar with the late singer. Here are a few facts about Rivera, who passed away at age 43.
1. Rivera became the first female Banda artist to sell out a concert at the Gibson Amphitheater in Universal City, Calif., and the first artist to sell out two back-to-back nights at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
2. The singer was also a reality star and successful business woman. She produced the reality TV show Jenni Rivera Presents: Chiquis & Raq-C, and also appeared in and produced I Love Jenni in 2011 and Chiquis 'n Control in 2012. Her entrepreneur ventures included Divina Realty, Divina Cosmetics, Jenni Rivera Fragrance, Jenni Jeans, Divine Music and The Jenni Rivera Love Foundation.
3. Rivera was born in Long Beach, California, and lived with her parents, who were Mexican immigrants, and her four brothers and sisters. In high school, the singer became pregnant with the first of her five children.
4. Rivera sold over 15 million albums worldwide and was nominated for Grammy Awards in 2003, 2008 and 2010.
5. In 2010, Rivera was named spokeswoman for the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
News of Rivera's death has caused an outpouring of messages on Twitter including tweets from Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan and William Levy.
They Dated?! Surprising Celebrity Hookups
Star Sightings: Celebrity Candids
Are These Celebs Too Tan?! Cast Your Vote!