After making her studio feature debut in the Oscar-nominated Argo, Iranian-American actress Sheila Vand has landed her first series regular role — the female lead opposite Brandon T. Jackson in the CBS drama pilot Beverly Hills Cop. The project, written by Shawn Ryan and directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, is a continuation of the movie franchise and centers on Axel Foley’s police officer son Aaron (Brandon T. Jackson), who takes down the criminal elements of the rich and famous in Beverly Hills. Vand will play Leila, a Beverly Hills detective who gave up a life of privilege for one of independence. The role was written as Persian, which is appropriate since Iranian-Americans now represent more than 20% of the population of Beverly Hills where a recent Mayor was Iranian-born. Kevin Pollak and David Denman co-star in the Sony TV pilot, with Eddie Murphy set to reprise his role as Axel in a guest starring stint. Murphy, Ryan and Marney Hochman executive produce.
- How 'Scandal' Creator Shonda Rhimes Makes Us Forget Our Morals Yahoo! TV - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:36 PM PDT
- Friday Night Lights' Aimee Teegarden Looks Skinny, Unrecognizable Us Weekly - Fri, May 17, 2013 4:15 PM PDT
- Is Kelly Rowland Joining The X Factor? TV Guide - Fri, May 17, 2013 4:58 PM PDT
- Doctor Who's Jenna-Louise Coleman on Clara's Meeting with River Song TV Guide - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:22 PM PDT
- Who Were the Worst Reality TV Stars This Week? Television Without Pity - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:28 PM PDT
- ‘Mike & Molly’ Creator Mark Roberts To Exit, Al Higgins Upped To EP & Showrunner Deadline.com - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:30 PM PDT