As the 2011 film fest gets underway, The Hollywood Reporter looks back at the five most memorable moments to happen under the French Riviera sun.
5) In 2006 Sacha Baron Cohen promoted his mockumentary film Borat by wearing a lime green neon mankini on the Cannes beach.
4) While discussing their film Kung Fu Panda in 2008, Jack Black accidentally announced that his co-star Angelina Jolie was expecting twins with partner Brad Pitt, causing an international media firestorm.
3) Richard Kelly almost didn't make it to the 2006 festival to screen his political thriller Southland Tales. The Department of Homeland Security detained the director (whose full name is James Richard Kelly) after his identity was confused with another James Kelly, a suspected terrorist.
2) Hundreds of audience members walked out of director Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny during its May 2003 screening. Roger Ebert, who dubbed it "the worst film in the history of the festival" at the time, later wrote about what it was like to be in the theater.
1) In 1991, Danish director Lars von Trier got so angry after his film Europa didn't win the fest's top Palme d'Or prize and was instead awarded the third place Jury Prize that he called jury chair Roman Polanski a "midget" during his acceptance speech.
- Sacha Baron Cohen
- Angelina Jolie