Elijah Wood has joined the cast of Celeste and Jesse Forever, the romantic comedy starring Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg, now shooting under the direction of Lee Toland Krieger.
The script, by Jones and Will McCormack, follows a couple (Jones and Samberg) in the midst of a divorce attempting to maintain their friendship while pursuing new relationships.
Wood will play Celeste’s business partner, a metrosexual who tries to be her “saucy gay friend.”
Emma Roberts, Ari Graynor and Chris Messina are among the cast members.
Jennifer Todd and Suzanne Todd are producing for Team Todd along with Lee Nelson for Envision Media Arts. The movie was previously set up at Fox Atomic and Overture Films before those companies shuttered.
The casting comes as Wood heads into his first TV series, the offbeat FX comedy Wilfred, which premieres June 23 and runs for 13 episodes. And later this summer the actor reprises his role as Frodo in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit and will be voicing a lead in Tron: Uprising, Disney’s animated series due next year.
Wood has a few projects in the can: Sky TV and Syfy’s adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and the animated tentpole Happy Feet 2, which sees Wood coming back as the voice of Mumble the fleet-footed penguin.
Wood is repped by WME and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
- How 'Scandal' Creator Shonda Rhimes Makes Us Forget Our Morals Yahoo! TV - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:36 PM PDT
- Friday Night Lights' Aimee Teegarden Looks Skinny, Unrecognizable Us Weekly - Fri, May 17, 2013 4:15 PM PDT
- Is Kelly Rowland Joining The X Factor? TV Guide - Fri, May 17, 2013 4:58 PM PDT
- Doctor Who's Jenna-Louise Coleman on Clara's Meeting with River Song TV Guide - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:22 PM PDT
- Who Were the Worst Reality TV Stars This Week? Television Without Pity - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:28 PM PDT
- ‘Mike & Molly’ Creator Mark Roberts To Exit, Al Higgins Upped To EP & Showrunner Deadline.com - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:30 PM PDT