How does someone decide to become a killer? That's one of the questions asked by Outlaw Empires.
Monday's episode of the Discovery docu-series tells the story of Nuestra Familia, an incredibly violent Latin gang that was founded in a California prison. Though Nuestra Familia was founded to protect incarcerated members, the gang's brutal behavior has also become a badge of honor in the streets.
Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter talks Outlaw Empires
But how does someone choose that way of life? In the exclusive sneak peek below, Johnny, one of the gang's members, recalls the incident that forever changed him: His best friend was shot and killed by a rival gang. "Everything just seemed to, like, stop," he says. "Everything was just quiet for a second. ... He didn't make it too long. He died pretty quick.
"That single incident is what really changed me," he continues. "Now, I was willing to pick up a gun and I was willing to shoot somebody. I became more cold, y'know? I became hardened. It's one thing to be involved those things as a confused kid not knowing better. And it's a whole different thing to decide in your mind, 'You know what? It's time to start killing people.'"
Outlaw Empires, executive-produced by Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter, airs Mondays at 10/9c on Discovery. Watch the full clip below:
- Does William Shatner Have a Crush on Betty White? [Exclusive Video] Yahoo! TV - 5 hours ago
- The Voice's Michelle Chamuel Reveals Secrets Behind Mirror Finale Performance Access Hollywood - 3 hours ago
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Love Don't Cost a Thing Yahoo! TV - 3 hours ago
- Revolution Stars Talk Nora's Season 1 Finale Exit Access Hollywood - 2 hours 55 minutes ago
- ‘Community’ Showrunner Dan Harmon Apologizes to Everyone … Almost Variety - 2 hours 46 minutes ago
- 'The Impossible' Director Juan Antonio Bayona to Direct Showtime's 'Penny Dreadful' The Wrap - 2 hours 8 minutes ago