Most fans of NBC's "The Biggest Loser" would agree that when comparing the three trainers -- Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels, and Dolvett Quince -- Jillian is the toughest. All of the trainers motivate "The Biggest Loser" contestants to achieve phenomenal results, but it is Jillian that pushes the hardest, both mentally and physically.
As one of the two original "The Biggest Loser" trainers, Jillian took a brief hiatus but has returned this season with intense determination. Viewers know Jillian is serious about her role as a trainer and does her job like no other, but here are a few things you may not know about Jillian Michaels:
- Jillian's interest and passion for fitness training can be traced back to her 17 years of martial arts training. She practiced both Muay Thai and Akarui-Do, in which she holds a black belt!
- Jillian's reasons for her departure from "The Biggest Loser" stem from her desire to raise a family with her partner, Heidi Rhoades. Jillian and Heidi are the proud parents of two little ones: daughter Lukensia, who they adopted from Haiti, and son Phoenix, who Heidi gave birth to in May 2012.
- Though there were many things that factored into Jillian's decision to return to "The Biggest Loser" this year, two she has highlighted are her fellow trainer, Bob Harper, and her desire to work with him to combat childhood obesity. Jillian and Bob work together (and independently) in this charge, as Bob has partnered with first lady Michelle Obama and Jillian with the Clinton Foundation.
- Not only is Jillian a top-notch trainer, she is a business woman, as well. In the past, Jillian has not only been a fitness and wellness coach, but she also owned and operated a sports medicine facility, where she worked as a physical therapist. Currently Jillian runs a company with her business partner, Giancarlo Cherisch, by the name of Empowered Media. She has a website, books, DVDs, video games, and a popular iPhone app (Jillian Michaels Slim-Down Solution).
- When she can find the time, Jillian also enjoys traveling and being involved in charitable events. Some of her philanthropic endeavors include working as an ambassador for the American Cancer Society, Stand Up 2 Cancer, NFL Play 60, Alliance for a Healthier Generation, and working with military families through the USO .
Whether Jillian Michaels is your favorite, or least favorite, trainer on "The Biggest Loser," it is clear she is a woman of substance and passion who puts significant effort into improving the lives of those around her.
Other articles by this contributor:
- Jillian Michaels
- Bob Harper