The Los Angeles City Attorney and Homeland Security have axed an immigration scam that they say preyed on foreign actors with false promises of visas. Picked up at LAX on Wednesday, Andrew Boryski has been charged with 32 misdemeanor counts, including three counts of grand theft, one count of practicing law without a license, and 28 counts of violating provisions of the Immigration Consultant Act. The City Attorney started investigating the Canadian-born Boryski after receiving several complaints of his Immigration Consulting business falsely promising O-1 visa to actors who paid him upfront. Homeland Security also was working on the same case and the two offices melded their efforts. According to the City Attorney’s Office, two Australian actors and one Irish actor claimed that they paid Boryski $5000 each for the valued immigration documents. “We will hold accountable charlatans who pray upon the career aspirations of others,” said City Attorney Carmen Trutanich in a statement today. “Performers from all jurisdictions should be able to pursue their dreams in the entertainment industry without fear of abuse and harm. SAG-AFTRA certainly welcomes the zero tolerance policy clearly demonstrated by the City Attorney’s Office in such cases,” said the union’s National Exec. Director David White. Boryski was nabbed by HSI and ICE agents just as he was boarding a flight back to Canada. The 26-year old could face up to one year in jail for each of the 32 counts against him if convicted.
- How 'Scandal' Creator Shonda Rhimes Makes Us Forget Our Morals Yahoo! TV - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:36 PM PDT
- Friday Night Lights' Aimee Teegarden Looks Skinny, Unrecognizable Us Weekly - Fri, May 17, 2013 4:15 PM PDT
- Is Kelly Rowland Joining The X Factor? TV Guide - Fri, May 17, 2013 4:58 PM PDT
- Doctor Who's Jenna-Louise Coleman on Clara's Meeting with River Song TV Guide - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:22 PM PDT
- Who Were the Worst Reality TV Stars This Week? Television Without Pity - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:28 PM PDT
- ‘Mike & Molly’ Creator Mark Roberts To Exit, Al Higgins Upped To EP & Showrunner Deadline.com - Fri, May 17, 2013 5:30 PM PDT