While NBC denies the reports, sources told The Hollywood Reporter that the network is preparing to oust Tonight Show's Jay Leno from his longtime roost in favor of Jimmy Fallon.
Which shows should end? Vote now!
According to the two high-level sources, NBC wants to promote Fallon to the coveted 11:35 timeslot to better compete with Jimmy Kimmel. While Leno regularly beats the competition overall, it's always hit-or-miss with Kimmel when it comes to the 18-49 demo. "Kimmel has done extremely well," a source said. "Jay wins overall, but on any given night, it's neck-and-neck in 18-49. I understand where they might have fear and also feel that they own the solution [in Fallon.]"
TV Scorecard: Has your favorite show been canceled?
NBC allegedly has plans to announce in May that the 2013-14 season will be Leno's last. When questioned about the reports, a representative for the comedian, who's signed on through 2014, said, "We do not speculate on rumor."
Would you miss Leno? What do you think about Fallon in the earlier timeslot?
- 'Teen Wolf' Sophomore-Season Superlatives Yahoo! TV - 22 hours ago
- ABC Family Orders New Spelling Bee Game Show The Wrap - Thu, May 23, 2013 1:24 PM PDT
- A&E Cancels Intervention After 13 Seasons TV Guide - Thu, May 23, 2013 2:23 PM PDT
- DirecTV Comes Full Circle With David Boreanaz, Kate Walsh, Julian McMahon and More TVLine.com - 23 hours ago
- FX Sets Premiere Date for 'The Bridge' The Wrap - 23 hours ago
- Real Housewives' Tamra Barney Getting a Spin-Off TV Guide - 23 hours ago