While NBC denies the reports, sources told The Hollywood Reporter that the network is preparing to oust Tonight Show's Jay Leno from his longtime roost in favor of Jimmy Fallon.
Which shows should end? Vote now!
According to the two high-level sources, NBC wants to promote Fallon to the coveted 11:35 timeslot to better compete with Jimmy Kimmel. While Leno regularly beats the competition overall, it's always hit-or-miss with Kimmel when it comes to the 18-49 demo. "Kimmel has done extremely well," a source said. "Jay wins overall, but on any given night, it's neck-and-neck in 18-49. I understand where they might have fear and also feel that they own the solution [in Fallon.]"
TV Scorecard: Has your favorite show been canceled?
NBC allegedly has plans to announce in May that the 2013-14 season will be Leno's last. When questioned about the reports, a representative for the comedian, who's signed on through 2014, said, "We do not speculate on rumor."
Would you miss Leno? What do you think about Fallon in the earlier timeslot?
- 'Ring of Fire' Myth Busting: Jewel Can Act and Lifetime Movies Can Be Seriously Awesome Yahoo! TV - 19 hours ago
- NBC to Air Blake Shelton's Tornado Relief Concert Next Week The Wrap - 19 hours ago
- 5 Ways to Be an Even Bigger 'Game of Thrones' Nerd Yahoo! TV - 17 hours ago
- Ann Curry Failed to Get Angelina Jolie TV Interview for NBC: Report Us Weekly - 16 hours ago
- American Idol and X Factor 'Probably Hurt Each Other,' Fox's Exiting Reality Chief Concedes TVLine.com - 16 hours ago