The New Year kicked off with bang as Oprah Winfrey returned to television with a brand new talk show -- and a firecracker of a first guest!
"Oprah's Next Chapter" debuted on OWN this week, with a two-hour interview with Aerosmith front man Steven Tyler. But even if you've already read Tyler's autobiography, "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You," his sit-down with Oprah provided new insight into how this rock star thinks.
Here are 10 things we learned about Steven Tyler:
* He starts his day off with a jump in Lake Sunapee. Yep, we saw every chilly bit of it in the opening montage of his home in Sunapee, New Hampshire.
* He knows his way around a kitchen. Tyler was shown making a scrambled egg breakfast for friends and family and he toasted them with coffee and goat milk.
* His past still haunts him. Oprah delved into Tyler's long history of drug and alcohol addiction, wondering aloud if anyone has done more drugs than him and saying, "May I just say…I am surprised you are still alive." Tyler replied with, "It used to be cool to hear that, now it kinda hurts."
* He witnessed his father's death. The death of Tyler's father, pianist Victor Tallarico, occurred a few days before Oprah's interview. Tyler said he was by his father's side when he died.
* He's no Simon Cowell. We already knew this, but Tyler himself verified it in the interview. Of his "American Idol" judging stint, he said he has no intention of being a dream crusher. He called Cowell "a grump" and said, "Half these kids that we send home are twice as good as Janis Joplin was when she she sang her first note. "
* His daughter, Mia, hates the way he dresses. As a child, she wanted him to dress in suits-- like Robert Palmer. Mia Tyler told Oprah she doesn't "get" the whole scarves/androgynous thing.
* Speaking of Mia-- and his other three kids-- Tyler confessed that he cried at the moment each of his children were conceived.
* He regrets his adulterous past-- and vows that it is possible to remain monogamous. Of his relationship with fiancé Erin Brady he said, "I don't want to hurt anybody again. For all the divorces I've had, I hurt those girls deeply. There was some behavior that I'm ashamed of and I shouldn't have done."
* Underneath all those scarves, he really is a sweet guy. At age 63 the rocker has seemingly sowed his wild oats. His fiance told Oprah that one of the sweetest things he ever did for her was to take time off from his touring schedule to jet to Alaska to spend time with her dying grandmother.
* Finally, Steven Tyler said everything that has happened in his life, he imagined before it occurred. Including sitting down with Oprah!
More From This Yahoo! Voices:
- Arts & Entertainment
- Arts & Entertainment/People
- Steven Tyler
- Oprah Winfrey