NBC's long-running comedy "The Office" will come to a close at the end of the upcoming season. According to Greg Daniels, the original showrunner for the series who will return to run things in the final season, viewers can expect lots of loose ends to get tied up.
"This year feels like the last chance to...make an artistic ending for the show," Daniels told reporters. "This will be the last season of 'The Office,' and we're planning a big exciting last season…all questions will be answered this year [including] who's behind the documentary."
If Daniels really wants to please fans who have lingering questions about the show, here are some of the most pressing questions he needs to answer, and answer well.
1. Who is filming the documentary?Daniels has said explicitly that this long-running mystery will be revealed in the show's final season. But it's not just a matter of who has been filming: Fans will also want to know why. What would possess someone to film nine years of life in Scranton, PA? And will we ever get to see the "finished" documentary in its final form?
For that matter, will the characters get to see it? In "Goodbye, Michael," Michael Scott says, " Hey, will you guys let me know if this ever airs?" That seems to suggest that whatever the documentary plan is, the end goal was to put in on TV: perhaps a PBS special or a reality series?
2. Why does Dwight leave?It's no secret that Rainn Wilson has plans to transition to a spin-off series centered around his beet farm/bed and breakfast. But what will inspire Dwight to leave his beloved paper company?
True, Michael isn't around anymore, and part of what kept Dwight at work was his allegiance to Michael. But Dwight is passionate about being the top salesman, and it's a little hard to understand why he'd leave voluntarily. Two options seem likely: He comes into conflict with David Wallace and is either fired or quits.
3. Do we see more of Hide?Hide, a fan-favorite, who was formerly a heart surgeon in Japan was hired back to the warehouse team in the Season 8 finale. Will the yakuza come looking for him? Will he tell more stories of intrigue from his home country?
4. What ever happened to…?Over the years, many characters fell by the wayside without getting a proper send-off. Among them: Cathy Simms, Danny Cordray, Rolf, and Isabel. And will fans ever learn the real name of the man called "The Scranton Strangler"?
5. Who will find love?Will Val and Darryl get married? Will Andy and Erin stay together? Will Oscar succumb to Robert Lipton's charms? Does Creed have a wife? And what does Kevin's love life look like these days?
6. Will Michael and Holly return?Steve Carell was at the core of "The Office" for so long that it would be a shame if he didn't return for the final season. It would be nice if he came back for the finale, but any visit to Scranton toward the tail end of the series would be a welcome treat for fans.