Skyfall is not only the highest grossing Bond film of all-time, it has just become the 14th film ever to earn more than one billion dollars at the box office.
The 23rd Bond film crossed this milestone on December 30, with Sony vice chairman Jeff Blake saying, "To see a film connect with audiences is always gratifying, but the success of this film is nothing short of extraordinary. After 50 years of entertaining audiences all over the world, Skyfall is the most successful James Bond film of all time."
Skyfall is the third film released in 2012 to earn more than one billion dollars; The Avengers ($1.51 billion) and The Dark Knight Rises ($1.08 billion) crossed the magic mark earlier this year.
Avatar remains the highest grossing film of all-time, with $2.7 billion, while James Cameron also holds the second spot as well thanks to Titanic's $2.1 billion. The Avengers swooped up third, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 worked its magic in fourth ($1.3 billion) and Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.3 billion) rounds out the top 5. Here are the remaining films to have crossed the billion dollar mark:
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($1.119 billion)
7. The Dark Knight Rises ($1.081 billion)
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($1.066 billion)
9. Toy Story 3 ($1.063 billion)
10. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides ($1.043 billion)
11. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace ($1.027 billion)
12. Alice in Wonderland ($1.024 billion)
13. The Dark Knight ($1.004 billion)
14. Skyfall ($1.000 billion)
Skyfall is expected to surpass several higher earning films as it has yet to open in China yet.
They Dated?! Surprising Celebrity Hookups
Star Sightings: Celebrity Candids
Are These Celebs Too Tan?! Cast Your Vote!