A major bombshell dropped Friday afternoon when news broke that Katie Holmes had filed for divorce from Tom Cruise after five years of marriage, overshadowing such as otherwise heavy-hitting Hollywood headlines as Adele's pregnancy and Ann Curry's exit.
There was immediate speculation that Cruise's controversial religion, Scientology, was the reason Holmes had decided to split, citing the standard "irreconcilable differences" in her filing while seeking full custody of the power couple's 6-year-old daughter, Suri.
Here are the latest reports surrounding the Holmes-Cruise divorce:
1. Cruise didn't see it coming. The actor -- who turns 50 on Tuesday -- was on location filming the thriller Oblivion in Iceland when Holmes, 33, filed papers Thursday in New York City. The next day, he confirmed through his rep that he was "deeply saddened" about the development and is "concentrating on his three children." According to People, Holmes -- who did not join her husband at the June 8 premiere of his latest film, Rock of Ages -- totally caught him off guard. "He had no idea this was coming," a source tells the magazine. "He's totally devastated and heartbroken."
2. Holmes' father helped her strategize. The former Dawson's Creek actress enlisted the expertise of her dad, Martin Holmes, an attorney based in Ohio, who flew to New York for legal -- and apparently, moral -- support, People reports.
3. Holmes secretly rented an NYC apartment. Before blindsiding Cruise, she quietly arranged to rent a flat for herself and Suri, according to a report from Us Weekly. "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interest. This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family," Holmes' lawyer, Jonathan Wolfe, told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement Friday.
4. She grew suspicious about Scientologist spies. TMZ reported over the weekend that Holmes believes she's being followed by people from the church; the church, meanwhile, disputes the allegations, slamming theories that several vehicles (ie. this white Cadillac Escalade) spotted outside her apartment were dispatched to spy on her.
5. Holmes wants to keep Suri away from Scientology. Also, via TMZ: The actress allegedly feared that Cruise would send the little girl away for training in the church's Sea Organization, where children begin a lifelong commitment to the religion.
6. Cruise strikes back. The Mission: Impossible star has lined up Bert Fields, the same lawyer he used during his 2001 split from Nicole Kidman. According to Newsday, he will seek to move the case from New York (where it's easier for one parent to gain sole custody) to California (where he'll request joint custody of Suri). "I would hope that it's not a contentious matter," Fields told the Los Angeles Times over the weekend. "I know Tom is not a particularly contentious person."
Whether the battle over Suri will escalate into more tabloid drama or be settled amicably remains to be seen. But one thing is clear: Holmes isn't going down without a fight.
- Katie Holmes
- Tom Cruise