"30 Rock" knows that comedy always comes from the unexpected, and to prove it, they put Jane Krakowski's character Jenna Maroney in a surprisingly stable, happy relationship. Here are the top five subplots starring Jenna and her boyfriend, the "gender dismorphic bigenitalian pansexual," Paul.
- 'How do you think we met? Paul won a Jenna Maroney impersonator contest, at which I came in fourth.' - Paul, played by Will Forte ("Saturday Night Live, "MacGruber"), works at a drag bar where his Jenna Maroney impersonation is his signature performance. While Liz suspects that he's using Jenna for his act, Paul assures us that, "I'd never tuck my penis again if she asked me." Jenna "finally gets to love herself" in Season 4, Episode 19, "Argus."
- 'Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when a girl dates a straight man who impersonates her onstage for mostly gay audiences, she has certain expectations. Fidelity, Paul. It's not just the name of a bank that sued me.' Jenna reacts poorly to finding out that Paul dresses up as Cher on the side in Season 4, Episode 22, "I Do Do."
- 'Why can't we just paint each other's toenails, watch vintage pornography, and then go to bed in our swing like a normal couple?' When Paul would rather take Jenna home to meet his parents than record a sex tape with her, she worries they may be losing their spark. Jenna explains that "Relationships are like sharks…. If you're not left with several bite marks after intercourse, then something's wrong" in Season 5, Episode 9, "Chain Reaction of Mental Anguish."
- '….I'd be a terrible father. I mean what if we had a child that was prettier than us? We'd have to leave it in the desert.' Paul's not really the parental type, but he's not alone. Jenna admits that "The only things I want attached my funbags are celebrity DJs" in Season 5, Episode 20, "100."
- 'This is a conservative top, Jenna. And I hate to be the stereotypical man, but this is my home and I want to wear this blouse.' Jenna lands a lucrative endorsement deal with a conservative wool company, but risks losing it when they find out she and Paul aren't exactly your average couple. Jenna assures her sponsors that their "…relationship is everything that wool is about: love, warmth, chafed skin," in Season 5, Episode 23, "Respawn."