Note: This was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Join the Yahoo! Contributor Network to start publishing your own articles.
The highly acclaimed CBS drama "Blue Bloods" has made quite an impression with critics and viewers. The series follows a multi-generational family of police officers and lawyers. Each week we see them struggle with their different views within their family about crime and punishment. The ensemble cast includes the talents of: Tom Selleck, Bridget Moynahan, Donnie Wahlberg, Len Cariou, Will Estes, Amy Carlson and Jennifer Esposito. Below is some interesting facts and trivia about the talented actors on the series "Blue Bloods."
Tom Selleck - plays Frank Reagan the police commissioner of New York City. He is a widower with three grown children, and a fourth child, a son who died.
1) Was originally cast as "Indiana Jones", but could not take the role because he was already committed to "Magnum P.I."
2) His first television appearance was on "The Dating Game" when he was a college senior. He appeared on the show again a couple of years later, he lost both times.
3) Was a member of the California National Guard, he was activated during the infamous Watts riots.
Donnie Wahlberg - his character, Danny Reagan is a detective with the New York City Police Department. He is the son Frank, he clashes with his family over his sometimes questionable procedures as a detective.
1) Many did not recognize him in his brief role at the start of the movie "The Sixth Sense." He lost 43 pounds to play a former patient of Bruce Willis', he was transformed for the role.
2) Has the same birthday as actors Sean Penn and Robert Deniro.
3) Is of Irish, German, Swedish and French Canadian descent. In 2008 he discovered he is a distant relative of Celine Dion.
Bridget Moynahan - portrays Erin Reagan-Boyle, only daughter of Frank. She is a by-the-book assistant district attorney.
1) Is a third cousin to actor Rosie O'Donnell, on her fathers side.
2) Her favorite alcoholic drink is vodka, straight up.
3) She was going to play the lead opposite John Travolta in the 2001 movie "Swordfish." She did not want to do any nude scenes, later the part went to Halle Berry.
Will Estes - the youngest brother of the Reagan family, his character Jamie Reagan graduated Harvard Law. He changed career paths and is now a rookie police officer, following in the footsteps of his brother, father and grandfather.
1) Was a winner on a celebrity edition of "Jeopardy."
2) When he was younger he practiced gymnastics and Jiu-Jitsu, a form of martial arts from Brazil.
Len Cariou - his character Henry Reagan is the grandfather, the center of the family. He is a retired police commissioner, and father of Frank.
1) In the 1970's he lived with actor Glenn Close.
2) On "Blue Bloods" he plays Tom Selleck's father, even though in real life he is only six years older.
3) In 1979, he won a Best Actor Tony Award for the musical "Sweeny Todd."
Amy Carlson - plays wife of Danny, they have the two sons together.
1) Has two Chinese symbol tattoos on her ankle. They mean, "Love and Happiness," and Peace of Mind."
2) Since her parents were teachers they spent every summer camping and backpacking. They have camped in every state in the U.S., except for Alaska.
Jennifer Esposito - portrays Jackie Curatola, she is Danny's new partner at the police department.
1) In the mid 1980's she was a dancer on Club MTV.
2) She originally had Mira Sorvino's part in the movie "Summer of Sam." She had to give it up due to scheduling conflicts.
You can see "Blue Bloods" every Friday night at 10pm on CBS. For four weeks, starting January 19th "Blue Bloods" will air on Wednesday nights at 10pm, this is a trial run to see how it performs in this time slot.
- Frank Reagan
- Bridget Moynahan
- police commissioner
- crime and punishment
- Tom Selleck
- Indiana Jones
- The Dating Game