The show, which is set in 17th century Massachusetts, explores what really fueled the town’s infamous witch trials.
Gabel will play Cotton Mather, a local aristocrat who oversees the witch hunts, opposite Revenge‘s Ashley Madekwe as the lead sorceress Mary Sibley’s alluring (and ageless!) right-hand woman.
WGN America’s other upcoming scripted fare includes the drama Manhattan, about the clandestine mission to build the world’s first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• Breaking Bad and One Life to Live vet Christopher Cousins has joined Revolution in a recurring role as high-ranking Patriot Victor Doyle, TVLine has confirmed.
• Lifetime is jumping on the Wizard of Oz-inspired TV bandwagon. The network is developing Red Brick Road, a potential series that revolves around the idea that there were red bricks in the yellow brick road that, if followed, would lead Dorothy to the oldest, darkest and most dangerous parts of Oz.
• ABC will televise live the wedding of Bachelor Sean Lowe and fiancé Catherine Giudici on Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014, at 8/7c.
• This weekend’s Bruce Willis-hosted Saturday Night Live scored a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demo, down 19 percent from this season’s Tina Fey- and Miley Cryus-fronted outings. As announced on the show, Edward Norton will host the Oct. 26 episode with musical guest Janelle Monae.
• IFC has renewed Comedy Bang! Bang! for a third season to air in 2014.
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?
- Arts & Entertainment
- Cotton Mather