Exec producer Betsy Thomas has stepped down from the top spot, and is relocating to NBC’s Guys With Kids (where she’ll serve as a co-EP), EW.com reports. Succeeding Thomas as Whitney‘s new boss is Wil Calhoun, whose sitcom credits include I Hate My Teenage Daughter, Gary Unmarried and, some time ago, Friends. Got advice for Calhoun on how to improve Whitney? Hit comments!
Whitney Season 2 will air Fridays at 8, leading into Community.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
* Starz has released a promo for Season 2 of Boss, which bows Aug. 17 and is of course fronted by Golden Globe nominee Kelsey Grammer. From the looks of it, things are gonna only get worse for Mayor Kane both physically and politically:
* Stand-up great/former sitcom king Jerry Seinfeld is rumored to be popping up on FX’s Louie during Season 3, which bows June 28. (A network rep could not confirm the buzz.)
* Speaking of FX summer fare, Brit bad boy Russell Brand has let loose with a new promo for his new late-night series
Strangely Uplifting Brand X With Russell Brand, which will air Thursdays:
* American Idol judge Randy Jackson has sold MTV on a (take two guesses, first one doesn’t count) singing competition that would pit family/sibling bands/groups against each other, Deadline reports. Kinda like when the Partridges had that naaaasty throw-down with The Silver Platters. What?
* The first wave of presenters for this year’s Tony Awards has been announced, and among the TV types you’ve got Ellen Barkin (an absolute scene-stealer in the new NBC/Ryan Murphy comedy The New Normal), Candice Bergen, Smash guests Bernadette Peters and Nick Jonas, Angela Lansbury, 30 Rocker James Marsden, South Park sires/Book of Mormon authors Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Big Banger Jim Parsons, Homeland‘s Mandy Patinkin,and TBS poster child Tyler Perry. The Tonys air June 10 on CBS, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother).
- Betsy Thomas
- Gary Unmarried
- Russell Brand
- Russell Brand