'Girls' Star Exits Show, Reportedly After Clashing With Lena Dunham

Christopher Abbott's rep has confirmed that he won't be returning to the series.

Yahoo TV
HBO Hosts The Premiere Of "Girls" Season 2 - Arrivals
.

View photo

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 09: Christopher Abbott attends the premiere of "Girls" season 2 hosted by HBO …

Don't leave us, Charlie!

Christopher Abbott has left HBO's hit show "Girls" after butting heads with creator and star Lena Dunham, according to The New York Post.

"They've just started work on Season 3, and Chris is at odds with Lena," Page Six says. "He didn't like the direction things are going in, which seems a bit odd since the show put him on the map."

[Related: Production On TBS's 'Sullivan & Son' Shut Down After Star Steve Byrne Suffers Injury]

HBO confirmed that Abbott will not be back for the third season of "Girls." In a statement regarding his exit, Abbott's rep said, "[Chris] is grateful for the experience of collaborating with Lena, Judd [Apatow], and the entire 'Girls' cast and crew, but right now he's working on numerous other projects and has decided not to return to the show."

This will surely leave "Girls" fans devastated since Charlie and Marnie (Allison Williams) finally got back together in the Season 2 finale.

If the report is true that Abbott and Dunham clashed, the relationship must have grown tense just in the last year.

[Related: Awkward Sexual Encounters on 'Girls']

In May 2012, Abbott praised the leading lady of "Girls": "I met Lena during the auditions and we hung out a couple of times before [shooting] so that was cool," he told GQ. "I felt we spoke the same language. Lena chose people with the sort of energy that would lead to a casual and freeing environment. Everyone got on the same page without really saying anything."

Are you sad there will be no more Charlie? Chime in below!

Check other notable TV departures:

View Comments