Last week's penultimate episode of Defiance was so jam-packed with action, it could have served as a season finale all on its own. So how do you feel when we say the real season finale is even more intense? Overwhelmed? Excited? Nervous for the lives of all your favorite characters?
How about all of the above?
Here to ease your nerves — and help mentally prepare you — are eight spoilers for Defiance's first season finale (Monday at 9/8c, Syfy).
1. Stahma's allegiance comes under question (again): After last week's cold-hearted confession to Kenya (Mia Kirshner), we thought Stahma's (Jaime Murray) loyalty to Datak (Tony Curran) was unshakeable. But when some of Stahma's new tricks elucidate her infidelity, she might just be scared enough to turn against her belovedly cruel husband -- or is this just another well-devised scheme?
2. Irisa faces her fate: Notify Dean and Castiel, because Supernatural's Team Free Will might just have another member! When Irisa (Stephanie Leonidas) learns the truth behind her visions and the Kaziri artifacts, she questions whether she's lost all control of her own destiny. Irisa is then faced with the choice to idly accept a (potentially very deadly) mission from God or fight against fate. Thanks to an unfortunate series of events, Irisa might find the choice easier than she expected.
3. There's a new villain in town: And he is regrettably not played by Mark Pellegrino (though if Defiance wants to up its sci-fi cred, they should cast him in a guest-spot ASAP). During the Earth Republic's latest visit to Defiance, they forgo the rakish charmer route — RIP Connor — in favor of some tough love. Enter Black Jonah, a professional interrogator "who enjoys his work to an arguably indecent degree" and has his sights set on Irisa. Doc Yewell's (Trenna Keating) claims of redemption are then put to the ultimate test when Jonah decides she's the best way to get to the Irathient. Will Doc Yewell give up Irisa to save her own skin?
4. Nolan's future in Defiance becomes more tenuous than ever: After his forced resignation, Nolan's (Grant Bowler) only ties to Defiance lie with Irisa. But with his surrogate daughter going all Blues Brothers on him in the finale, Nolan might just lose any and all reason to stick around.
5. Datak's pride lands him in major hot water: As cruel and cunning as Datak can be, forethought has never been his specialty. In the finale, Datak will once again be victimized by his own ego and potentially costs himself everything, right when he's poised to seize it all.
6. The Grim Reaper has a field day: As previously reported, at least two major characters will face death in the finale. Someone will make the ultimate sacrifice to save the one they love, but for another, love is poison. And keep in mind, no one is safe — and we mean no one. So don't be surprised if at least one death has you screaming "Oh, shtako!" in your seat.
7. It's all connected: The politics. The cult. The mines. Every seemingly unrelated thing Defiance has touched upon during its freshmen season comes together in a way that raises the stakes higher than a Castithan's head and sets the stage for an even more intense second season (which, thankfully, has already been ordered).
8. Let there be war: Ever since the Volge attack in the premiere, Defiance has been (relatively) peaceful, but the Syfy series wasn't about to go out without a bang. After an already tumultuous campaign season, the combination of the Earth Republic's presence and the anticipated election results prove to be a sure-fire recipe for rebellion. And unfortunately, the newly elected mayor is a bit preoccupied with personal matters to lead Defiance's people or properly intervene.
Who do you think will die?
Defiance's season finale airs Monday at 9/8c on Syfy.
- Arts & Entertainment