Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch Takes a Shot at Downton Abbey – Does He Have a Point?

TVLine.com
Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch Takes a Shot at Downton Abbey – Does He Have a Point?
.

View photo

Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch Takes a Shot at Downton Abbey – Does He Have a Point?

Oh, my dears — Downton Abbey is under attack by one of its own again.

Just days after Abbey‘s leading lady, Elizabeth McGovern, took a swipe at the PBS hit’s polarizing second season, Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch has voiced his own disappointment with the show’s sophomore run.

In an interview with the New York Times to promote the May 6 return of Sherlock (which, like Abbey, is co-produced by PBS Masterpiece), Cumberbatch recalled an incident at the Golden Globes in January where Masterpiece exec Rebecca Eaton playfully taunted him with the statue Abbey had just won. “I just looked at it and went: ‘Begone, woman,’” he recounted. ‘Bring it back when it says Sherlock or [Sherlock creator] Steven Moffat or myself — someone else who’s more deserving than the second [season] of Downton Abbey.’”

“I know too many people who are in [Abbey],” Cumberbatch said, before adding diplomatically. “I thought the first series was good. That’s what I’ll say.”

Shocker: Downton Abbey To Kill Off [Spoiler]?!

Earlier this week, McGovern raised eyebrows when she admitted to the Los Angeles Times, “Abbey in the first season was more to my taste than the show in the second season.”

She later told TV Guide Magazine that her comments were “taken out of context and misinterpreted… I was in no way criticizing the second season or implying that I loved or enjoyed it less.”

All the hullabaloo raises the question: Do you think the criticism surrounding Abbey‘s second season is justified? Hit the comments!


Get more from TVLine.com: Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Newsletter

View Comments